One of the best ways to see Charleston is by renting a moped to make your way through the crowded roadways and see it from end to end. But there are some things that you need to know before you hop on and take a ride. Before you rent a moped and hit the streets, make sure that you understand the rules of the road and what to do to keep you safe while pursuing the city.These are the best tips for renting a scooter or moped to see the sites of Charleston the best way possible.
Before you Rent a Scooter or Moped
- It is illegal to drink and drive.
- Get a moped or scooter that matches your driving experience and ability.
- Don’t choose your rental on price alone; if you rent the least expensive, you might end up with less time than you would like.
- Make sure to inspect the rental before you hop on and ride off. Check things like the tread on the tires and look for any oil leaks. Also, ensure that the turn signals and brake lights work. And if you notice any signs of damage, record them and alert the company so that you aren’t left paying for someone else’s negligence. And If you aren’t happy with the bike, ask for another one and mention to staff ASAP!
Once you hit the Open Road
- It is important to be vigilant when riding on the streets by being alert and aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Cover the brakes with your hands so that you are always prepared to stop if you need to.
- If you are riding in high traffic, drop to a lower gear. That way, you will be ready to speed up when you need to.
- Watch for road surfaces that have oil, potholes, water, or diesel that can be slick.
- Plan to have an escape route when you are in traffic so that you can avoid danger.
- Command your lane and let other motorists know you are there.
- Wear bright clothing so other drivers will be able to spot you easily.
- Check to ensure that your signals are turned off after you make a turn, so you aren’t giving people false information about your actions.
- Avoid being between exit ramps and vehicles so that you don’t get clipped if a motorist makes a quick change.
- Make wide turns to broaden your perspective of oncoming traffic.
- Map out your ride ahead of time, so you know where you are going.
- Research what experienced moped drivers have to say and the advice they can give.
- Enjoy your moped rental Charleston, SC-style, but be careful!
The best way to see Charleston from end to end is by renting a moped or scooter. Just make sure that you are careful, that you know the rules of the road, and also that you have a plan to see it all! Book your moped or scooter from Scooter Stop rental today!